Thursday 9 May 2013

How-to: Clear a session on a FortiGate

Sometimes it can be really useful to clear specific sessions on a FortiGate to help with troubleshooting.

This is especially useful when you've made a change to the config, test it out but you don't get the result you expected. Usually this is because the firewall is still using an existing session that was using the old config. An example of this would be changing the UTM policies.

To clear a session, first we must configure the filter so that we only delete the sessions we want. Without creating a filter then the clear command will delete all sessions.

Press ? after the filter command below to see all options available:

fg60cxadsl # diagnose sys session filter
clear          clear session filter
dintf          destination interface
dport          dest port
dst            dest ip address
duration       duration
expire         expire
negate         inverse filter
nport          NAT'd source port
nsrc           NAT'd source ip address
policy         policy id
proto          protocol number
proto-state    protocol state
sintf          source interface
sport          source port
src            source ip address
vd             index of virtual domain. -1 matches all

Firstly as a good habit I always clear the filter before I begin. This ensure that the filters I configure are the ones that will be used.

fg60cxadsl # diagnose sys session filter clear

In this example I want to delete all HTTP sessions originating from my PC. I've made some changes to the UTM web filtering profile that are not working as I expected, so I want to clear my web sessions to ensure it's using the correct filter. To do this I use the src and the dport options to set the source IP (my PC) and the destination address (port 80 for HTTP)

fg60cxadsl # diagnose sys session filter src 192.168.1.110
fg60cxadsl # diagnose sys session filter dport 80

Next it's time to clear the session by issuing the session clear command as follows:

fg60cxadsl # diagnose sys session clear

After this command all my web sessions are dropped and need to be renegotiated again. I attempt to reload the website and confirm that my changes worked!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, very helpful!

Unknown said...

still very valid info

Unknown said...

Super helpful. We are using 2 WAN connections with failover, and some connections were stuck using wan2 after wan1 came back up. Cleared all sessions with wan2 as dintf, which fixed everything. Thanks!

munga said...

Al is a FortiGod

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post but this flat saved my ass last night. Our real Fortinet guy had the day off and the server guys had been having an issue with clustering across a MetroE flanked by a couple of Fortigates for weeks. Turned out there was an old UDP session sending to the wrong interface but since the source and destination ports and IPs were exactly the same all of the new traffic was still matching it and trying to use it. Cleared that session and everything magically worked. Server guys loved me. Kudos to you. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That was greatful. we had to do this on ASA. thought the world would have moved ahead. rather they focussed only on fancy things.

Unknown said...

Thank you from 2022